Sunday, July 5, 2009

What is Florida Life?


Florida Life is a complete exploration of all aspects of Florida living- history, geography, culture, people and the natural world. As an artist and native Floridian I am fascinated by this place, as I think everyone should be with the place they live. As freeholders, we should always seek to live somewhere that speaks to us, that fills us with joy. If your environment doesn't do that for you, you should either try to turn on to it or move.
I have long sought to capture the visual beauty that I find here through painting. Now the blogosphere is allowing me a chance to explore it through words. It's a calling that has been postponed for almost forty years. I made a conscious decision my senior year in college to switch from a calling in writing that saw me be editor of my college literary magazine and having my poetry and prose poems published both in this country and the United Kingdom. I had realized that it would be virtually impossible to get published and earn money without making artistic and lifestyle changes I found unpalatable. In the visual arts, I felt I could flourish without having to make those compromises. I have been fortunate in that time to achieve success as an artist and designer. Now with the ability to self publish to a worldwide audience, I look forward to be able to engage in all the arts that I love. And doing it about a place I feel as fervently affectionate about as Florida puts it all together in a package that I feel certain will inspire my best work. I have things to say about Florida that should interest not only those who live here , but also the millions who visit here from all over the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment